Illinois Junior Science and Humanities Symposium
March 17 - 18, 2022
Hosted by the STEM Education Research Center, SIU Carbondale.
What is IJSHS?
IJSHS is a regional competition for high school students to compete in a regional humanities and science symposium and potentially advance to the national level (JSHS). The symposium is designed to challenge and engage students (Grades 9-12) in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM). Individual students compete for scholarships and recognition by presenting the results of their original research efforts before a panel of judges and an audience of their peers.
How do I participate?
In the fall, application materials are made available to all public and private high schools in the state of Illinois. Cook County (because of the concentrated population base, Cook County holds their own regional symposium at Loyola University).
Students may be nominated as a presenter or observer. Although the ten (10) students nominated from each school do not have to present, if students have completed a project, we strongly encourage you to submit a paper. We also strongly encourage students to participate as observers if they have an interest in completing projects in the future and are looking for ideas on how to get started.
- Research Papers
- Statement of Outside Assistance
- Cover Letter
The IJSHS is a regional competition conducted under the auspices of the national Junior Science and Humanities Symposia program.
The primary aims of IJSHS are to promote research and experimentation in the sciences, engineering, and mathematics at the high school level, and to publicly recognize students for outstanding achievement and effort. The major activities of IJSHS include:
- Oral and poster presentations of original research papers by high school students
- Tours and hands-on activities in research labs
- Opportunities to meet others interested in the sciences
Please call or email one of the contacts below:
Duane J. Lickteig, IJSHS Director, 618/453-4214, email@example.com.
Conference Coordinator Rebecca Dycus at 618/453-1141 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission and Registration Deadlines.
- Jan 28 - Teacher/Sponsor RSVP due.
- Feb 11 - Student registration and research project deadline. All students who wish to apply must register and submit an abstract and research paper reporting the results of their STEM research in CVENT.
- Feb 18 - SIU staff will notify students to confirm participation in oral or poster presentations.
- Mar 1 - All remaning participants (family, observers, chaperones, parents, volunteers, STEM professionals,etc), complete registration.
- Mar 17 - 18 - Illinois Regional Symposium at SIU Carbondale.
Day 1: Thursday, March 17
Groups will check in to the hotel in the late afternoon. After unpacking, you will meet on campus at the Student Center to set up posters, practice oral sessions and join the opening ceremony. Afterwards, a reception will cap off the evening.
Day 2: Friday, March 18
Groups arrive at the Student Center in the morning and present oral and paper presentations. After lunch you will visit research labs and later,join the awards ceremony.
Visit the National Junior Science and Humanities Symposia Page for awards, abstract, photos, and more. Registration is not yet live, please check back soon!
The United States Department of the Army has sponsored the Junior Science and Humanities Symposia (JSHS) program since its inception in 1958. The Departments of the Navy and the Air Force joined the sponsorship in 1995.
Specific cooperating organizations include:
- The Army Research Laboratory's Army Research Office, Research Triangle Park, NC
- The Office of Naval Research, Arlington, VA
- The Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- The Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Arlington, VA
Registration is now open in CVENT.
Students who plan on entering the IJSHS competition should have their sponsoring teacher contact Rebecca Dycus at email@example.com by Jan. 28. The nomination form is an indicator to SIU staff that you plan on attending the event and is not an official registration for the event.
IJSHS registration is processed through CVENT, all attendees; students presenters, student observers, teachers and chaperones, will need to complete the official registration through CVENT in order to attend the IJSHS competition. We encourage all who plan to attend to start the registration process as soon as possible. Deadlines for registration are listed in the blue boxes above. You may start the registration process and edit or complete the process at different times. Once you create your account, be sure to keep your login information in order to access the registration at a later date.