Illinois Junior Science and Humanities Symposium
March 12, 2021
The IJSHS event hosted by SIU Carbondale, will be held virtually in March.
What is IJSHS?
IJSHS is a regional competition for high school students to compete in a regional humanities and science symposium and potentially advance to the nationl level (JSHS). The symposium is designed to challenge and engage students (Grades 9-12) in science, technology, engineering or mathematics (STEM). Individual students compete for scholarships and recognition by presenting the results of their original research efforts before a panel of judges and an audience of their peers.
How do I participate?
Teachers should nominate students who have demonstrated an interest in and an aptitude for scientific studies. Each high school may nominate up to ten (10) students; additional student names may be submitted only on a space available basis.
Students may be nominated as a presenter or observer. Although the ten (10) students nominated from each school do not have to present, if students have completed a project, we strongly encourage you to submit a paper. We also strongly encourage students to participate as observers if they have an interest in completing projects in the future and are looking for ideas on how to get started.
- Research Papers
- Statement of Outside Assistance
- Cover Letter
- Event Schedule
The IJSHS is a regional competition conducted under the auspices of the national Junior Science and Humanities Symposia program.
The primary aims of IJSHS are to promote research and experimentation in the sciences, engineering, and mathematics at the high school level, and to publicly recognize students for outstanding achievement and effort. The major activities of IJSHS include:
- Oral presentations of Original Research Papers by High School Students
- Oral presentations during a Poster Session
- Participants and observers will have access to a shared drive to view video submissions for oral and poster presentations throughout the day of the event.
- Laboratory Visits (virtual panel discussion and Q&A with current SIU undergraduate researchers)
- Opportunities to Meet Others Interested in the Sciences
Students submitting projects for presentation at the 2021 IJSHS
- Feb 5 - Registration and research project deadline. All students who wish to apply must register and submit all required documents in CVENT.
- Feb 19 - SIU staff will notify students who have registered and completed submission of all required paperwork of their presentation status. Students will present their project as an oral presentation or as a poster session (presented orally for 2021.)
- Mar 4 - Video submissions due to Rebecca Dycus. All presentation will be recorded for submission. Ms. Dycus will be in contact with participants prior to this date with more information on how to submit presentations.
- Mar 12 - IJSHS presentations and judging.
All Student Observers, Teachers, and Chaperones attending the 2021 IJSHS event
- Jan. 22, 2021 - Teacher nomination of student(s)
- Feb 22 - Registration deadline for all student observers, teachers and chaperones who plan to attend virtually. Register online in CVENT.
- Mar 12 - IJSHS presentations and judging.
Visit the National Junior Science and Humanities Symposia Page for awards, abstract, photos, and more. Registration is not yet live, please check back soon!
The United States Department of the Army has sponsored the Junior Science and Humanities Symposia (JSHS) program since its inception in 1958. The Departments of the Navy and the Air Force joined the sponsorship in 1995.
Specific cooperating organizations include:
- The Army Research Laboratory's Army Research Office, Research Triangle Park, NC
- The Office of Naval Research, Arlington, VA
- The Air Force Research Laboratory, Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio
- The Air Force Office of Scientific Research, Arlington, VA
Please call or email one of the contacts below:
Duane J. Lickteig, IJSHS Director, 618/536-6666, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conference Coordinator Rebecca Dycus at 618/453-1141 or email@example.com.
Registration is closed for 2021.
Students who plan on entering the IJSHS competion should have their sponsoring teacher complete a nomination form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org by Jan. 22. Please contact Rebecca Dycus for a copy of the form. The nomination form is an indicator to SIU staff that you plan on attending the event and is not an official registration for the event.
Office JSHS Registration
Students presenters, student observers, teachers and chaperones, will need to complete the official registration through CVENT in order to attend the virtual IJSHS competition. We encourage all who plan to attend to start the registration process as soon as possible. Deadlines for registration are listed in the blue boxes above. You may start the registration process and edit or complete the process at different times. Once you create your account, be sure to keep your login information in order to access the registration at a later date.