Dental Professionals Seminar
Dental Professionals Seminar
Dental professionals are tasked with the safe and effective management of medically complex patients. Knowledge of dental pharmacology has never been more essential to patient care.
Keynote: THOMAS A. VIOLA, R.Ph., C.C.P.
With over 30 years’ experience as a pharmacist, educator, speaker and author, Tom Viola, R.Ph., C.C.P. has earned his reputation as the go-to specialist for delivering quality continuing education content through his informative engaging presentations. Tom’s sellout programs provide an overview of the most prevalent oral and systemic diseases and the most frequently prescribed drugs used in their treatment. Special emphasis is given to dental considerations and strategies for effective patient care planning. As a clinical educator, Tom is a member of the faculty of twelve dental professional degree programs and has received several awards for outstanding teacher of the year. Tom instructs dental hygiene students and practice dental hygienists in pharmacology and local anesthesia in preparation for national board exams. As a published writer, Tom is well known internationally for his contributions to several professional journals in the areas of pharmacology, pain management and local anesthesia. In addition, Tom has served as a contributor, chapter author and peer reviewer for several pharmacology textbooks. As a professional speaker, Tom has presented continuing education courses to dental professionals internationally since 2001. Meeting planners agree that Tom is their choice to educate audiences within this specialty.
The schedule for the day is as follows:
"Top of the Heap"
Dental professionals find themselves practicing in a marketplace awash in direct to consumer advertising of prescription drugs and in the midst of an explosion of new drug entities over the last several years. Thus, many dental professionals may find it challenging to stay up to date with the latest prescribing trends in disease state management. This program will provide an overview of those frequently prescribed brand name medications whose actions, side eﬀects, contraindications and potential drug interactions may have the greatest impact on dental therapy.
Identify the most frequently prescribed FDA approved brand name medications for the treatment of systemic illnesses.
- Discuss the basic mechanisms of action, potential adverse reactions, drug interactions and contraindications of these medications.
- Explain the clinical dental considerations of these medications and their potential impact on dental therapy.
- Describe patient management strategies essential for successful treatment planning and proper care of our medically complex dental patients
"Take It On The Run, Baby!"
The use and abuse of both licit and illicit substances has the potential to produce adverse reactions and life-threatening medical emergencies during dental treatment. This comprehensive program will explore strategies for identifying the dental patient using and abusing substances, as well as techniques for eﬀective patient management and treatment. Special emphasis will be given to a discussion of patients using cannabis for both medical and recreational purposes.
Discuss the impact of substance dependence and abuse on dental therapy and on overall patient health.
- Explore the world of the most commonly used street drugs with regard to:
- Street names
- Common adverse eﬀects
- Oral manifestations
- Dental treatment considerations
- Describe techniques useful in identifying and successfully managing patient substance use and dependency.
A Continuing Education Units application has been submitted for approval to award six (6) Continuing Education Units (CEU) for completion of this program.
Exhibitors from a variety of dental companies will also be available throughout the day to discuss their products and services.
Program Date: October 18, 2019
Program Time: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m. (check-in begins at 8 am)
Program Location: SIU Carbondale Student Center, Auditorium and International Lounge, 1255 Lincoln Drive, Carbondale, Illinois
Registration Deadline: October 4, 2019
- Registration Fee: $100
- Current ADHA Member: $75 - (Only with a copy of current ADHA card submitted with registration; sorry, no online registration available for this fee.)
- Full-time SIU DH Student: $40
- 2019 SIU DH Graduate: $40
- Active Military (with copy of Military ID) - $40
**FREE Parking in the metered lot in front of the Student Center or Lot 56 south of the the Arena.
- Participant Online Registration
- Exhibitor Online Registration
- By phone with a VISA, Discover, or Mastercard by calling Conference and Scheduling Services at 618/536-7751
- Fax registration form or exhibitor's registration form with credit card information to Conference and Scheduling Services at 618/453-5680
Cancellation and Refund Policy
Cancellations received in writing before October 4, 2019 entitles the registrant to a refund, minus a $20 cancellation fee. No refund will be made after that date. The University reserves the right to cancel any program. In the event of program cancellation, only those pre-registered will be notified.