Health Policy Institute
Friday, May 18, 2018
Opening Pandora’s Bottle: Law, Policy, and America’s Opioid Epidemic
The nation is embroiled in an epidemic that, while not contagious, impacts all sectors of society and devastates communities, especially rural communities. Opioid misuse, including abuse of prescription pain killers and heroin, led to more than 33,000 deaths nationwide in 2016 and nearly 2,000 deaths in Illinois during that same year. And these statistics, counted in lives, continue to rise at alarming rates.
National, state, and local governmental bodies fight to stem the tide of this rampant killer. Law enforcement officials, courts, attorneys, and social agencies are caught in the web of this very human disaster and its tragic consequences. And hospitals, physicians, and health care providers of every stripe struggle daily to care for patients with legitimate pain-management needs, while simultaneously averting actions that feed addiction and protecting their professional credentials from legal scrutiny.
To aid in identifying both the issues and the solutions, the 2018 Southern Illinois Healthcare (SIH)-Southern Illinois University (SIU) Health Policy Institute seeks to provide an informative and engaging dialogue aimed at striking the right balance and bringing to bear effective solutions to the opioid epidemic impacting our country and our communities.
At the conclusion of this educational program, participants will be able to:
- Understand the scope and impact of the opioid crisis;
- Identify competing needs that arise in the patient-care milieu, including unmet needs and stigmatization;
- Comprehend how various solutions from the legal, medical, and policy arenas feed into the overall strategy for managing the present crisis; and
- Participate more effectively in discussions related to the nation’s opioid epidemic and proposed solutions on the national, state, and local levels.
CLE/CME/CNE HOURS: TBD
Since 1999, SIU's School of Law, School of Medicine, Paul Simon Public Policy Institute, and Southern Illinois Healthcare have sponsored the annual Health Policy Institute. Attendees hear presentations from national experts and discuss current regulatory and public policy issues in health care. SIU law students who are interested in health law and policy attend and assist with the Institute each year.
Program Location: SIU Carbondale, Lesar Law Building**
**The option is available to attend via teleconference in Springfield or Chicago:Springfield Location: School of Medicine
Memorial Center for Learning and Innovation (MCLI) 2B,
HD Smith Tiered Classroom
Chicago Location: ISBA Chicago Regional Office
20 S. Clark St., Suite 900
If that is your preference, please be sure to select this option when you register online.
Program Time: 9:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m. with check-in/registration beginning at 8:30 a.m. in the Formal Lounge.
- $75 - Registration (with CEUs)
- $40 - Registration (without CEUs)
- $50 - SIU School of Law/Medicine Alumni Registration w/CEUs
- $35 - SIU School of Law/Medicine Alumni Registration w/o CEUs
- $50 - Public Interest Attorney Registration with CLE
- $50 - Members ISBA Sections of Health Care & Mental Health
- Complimentary - Other:
- SIH Employee
- SIH Board Member
- SIU School of Law Faculty/Employee
- SIU School of Medicine Faculty/Employee
- SIU Emeritus Faculty of Law/Medicine
- SIU School of Law Student
- SIU Medicine Student
- SIH Physician
- IL Healthcare provider who participated in any of Coventry’s PPO networks (18W0901302)
For those CLE courses/activities offered for a fee by Southern Illinois University School of Law, attorneys may apply for a fee waiver due to financial hardship. For additional information, please download the SIU School of Law Financial Aid Policy and Procedures. If you are requesting a fee waiver due to financial hardship, please email Judi Ray at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Register online
- IL Healthcare Providers who participated in any of Coventry’s PPO Networks (including networks managed by First Health Group Corp., CCN Managed Care, Inc., and Healthcare Compare Corp) – Register online here.
- Register by phone with a VISA, Mastercard or Discover by calling Conference and Scheduling Services at 618/536-7751.
- Fax registration form with credit card information to Conference and Scheduling Services at 618/453-5680.