Introduction to Equine Rehabilitation
Online course available from April 2, 2021 through October 2, 2021
Regular: $325 Tuition Special: $120
Why the need for EQUINE REHABILITATION?
Equine rehabilitation consists of a set of physical therapy techniques specifically adapted for horses. It aims to restore soft tissue flexibility, muscle strength and functional mobility skills of coordination and balance, so that the animal returns to its pre-existing level of ideal performance, before injury, illness, or surgery.
In this “Introduction to Equine Rehabilitation” short course, we will address the main techniques commonly used to facilitate a general understanding of the basic principles of rehabilitation.
Students or professionals of Animal Science, Veterinary Medicine, Equine Therapy, and Veterinary Technician courses.
Dr. Maria Inês Gay da Fonseca Allgayer, D.V.M. (Brazil)
- Equine Therapist
- FEI Permitted Treating Veterinarian, Brazil
- Therapy4Horses owner - Equine Rehabilitation Center, Purcell, Oklahoma
- Therapy4Horses Intensive Equine Physiotherapy Course Coordinator (2014-2020)
- Veterinarian of the WEG Kentucky 2010 - Reining Team, Uruguay
- Veterinarian of the Equine Physiotherapy Team on the International Olympic Committee during the Rio Olympic Games, 2016, Brazil
- Veterinarian of the WEG Tryon/North Carolina 2018 - Reining Team, Uruguay and Argentina
- Creator of the Three L’s Technique and the D.E.L.T.A. Protocol for Dynamic Equine Rehabilitation
Main Topics to be Covered:
- Equine Physical Rehabilitation History
- Technical Terms and Definitions
- Equine Behavior: Applied concepts in equine physical rehabilitation
- Infrared Thermography
- Laser Therapy
- L.E.D. Therapy
- Pulsed Electromagnetic Field Therapy
- Infrasound Therapy
- Stability Program
VIDEOS will be used to demonstrate practices and techniques.
Administration and Support:
- Equine Teaching and Research Unit (ETRU), SIU, Carbondale, IL USA
- SIU Farms (Equine Center and Physiology and Metabolism Center, SIU, Carbondale, IL USA
- Equine Rehabilitation Center, Therapy4horses Purcell, OK, US