Writers In Common
Writers In Common
The Creative Writing Program at Southern Illinois University is proud to present Writers In Common, an all-ages event for creative writers! Join us this June for the first meeting of this all-ages event for writers of all backgrounds and experience levels.
Where: Southern Illinois University campus in Carbondale, IL. Carbondale is one hundred miles southeast of Saint Louis, MO and easily accessed from the Chicago metropolitan area via Amtrak.
When: June 23, 2018
Writers In Common will include:
- Adult critique workshops in poetry and prose
- Free generative workshops for high school students
- Panel on publishing poetry and fiction
- Youth Poetry Slam with Prizes
- Banquet with Keynote Speaker
Allison Joseph (adult critique workshop in poetry):
Allison Joseph is a Professor of English at Southern Illinois University Carbondale and the founder of Writers in Common. Her many books of poems include Soul Train, Mercurial, What Keeps Us Here, My Father's Kites, and Confessions of a Barefaced Woman.
Jason Lee Brown (Keynote Speaker, adult critique workshop in fiction):
Jason Lee Brown is the author of the novel, Prowler: The Mad Gasser of Mattoon, the novella Championship Run, and the poetry chapbook Blue Collar Fathers. He is the Series Editor of New Stories from The Midwest and a contributing editor of River Styx. His writing has appeared in numerous literary journals, including Kenyon Review, Literary Review, North American Review, The Journal, Southern Humanities Review, and Ecotone. He earned his MFA from Southern Illinois University Carbondale.
Teen workshops will be led by current MFA students in creative writing at Southern Illinois University.
- Free – writers ages 14-18
- $25 – current SIU students
- $60 – panelist
- $70 – all other attendees
Registration for the critique workshops and the teen workshops will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. Adult workshops will be limited to 15 participants. Teen workshops will be limited to 20 students per workshop (two different workshops will be available for teens)
Deadline for registration: June 15, 2018
Cancellation: A refund, minus a $15 cancellation fee, will be issued upon written request received 7 business days before the beginning of each camp.
- Register online for Writers In Common
- Register by phone with a VISA, Discover, or Mastercard by calling Conference and Scheduling Services at 618/536-7751.
- Fax the registration form with credit card payment information to 618/453-5680.
Questions? Please contact Allison Joseph, Director, email@example.com