SCIENCE in the SOUTH Main Content
January 29, 2016
Join K-12 educators from across Illinois to build your teaching skills, expand your content knowledge, and network with other teachers to exchange ideas. Whether you are a first-year teacher looking for new ideas or a veteran teacher looking for ways to energize your classroom, Science in the South offers a variety of workshops that will be relevant, informative, and fun! Don’t miss this opportunity to walk away with ready-to-use, hands-on activities and lesson plans for all grade levels!
This year, we will be offering special sessions on NGSS implementation and testing as well as sessions focused on astronomy. It’s time to start thinking about the 2017 Total Solar Eclipse! As such, our keynote address this year will focus on the upcoming event. Carbondale is in the path of totality for the August 21 eclipse!
- Luncheon Keynote Speaker – This year’s keynote address will focus on the upcoming 2017 Total Solar Eclipse and the science behind it. Further details to come! Visit eclipse.siu.edu to learn more about what SIU and Carbondale have planned for the event.
- Networking Reception – At the end of the day, spend a few minutes networking with other Science in the South participants and presenters. This will be a great opportunity to further enhance your professional contact list and continue to exchange ideas! Refreshments will be provided.
Call for Presentations: All educators are invited to present any science-related topics that would be of interest to K-12 science teachers. Each accepted presentation will receive up to two complimentary conference registrations, including lunch. Please fill out the online proposal. You may also submit this paper proposal form.
Please review the NSTA Minimum Safety Guidelines.
Exhibits: Registration information for exhibitors will be coming soon. We are excited to welcome a variety of science- and education-themed exhibitors and vendors to Science in the South 2016!
PDHs: Earn up to 5.0 Professional Development Hours (PDHs) for participating in Friday's session.
- 7:30 a.m. – 9 a.m. Registration, Check-In, Continental Breakfast, Exhibitors
- 9 a.m. – 9:50 a.m. Session I Presentations
- 10 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Exhibit Viewing and Refreshment Break
- 10:30 a.m. – 11:20 a.m. Session II Presentations
- 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. Luncheon and Keynote
- 1 p.m. – 1:50 p.m. Session III Presentations
- 2 p.m. – 2:50 p.m. Session IV Presentations
- 3 p.m. – 4 p.m. Networking Reception
Program Location: Student Center, SIU Carbondale
Registration Deadline (for guaranteed lunch): January 8, 2016
Participant Registration Fees:
**Includes conference materials, exhibit viewing, refreshments, lunch, parking pass and ISTA 2016 annual membership.
- On or before January 8, 2016: $80
- After January 8, 2016: $95
Student Registration Fee:
Cancellation/Refund Policy: A refund, minus a $25 processing fee, will be issued if requested prior to January 22, 2016. No refunds after that date.
- Participants online registration
- Presenters online registration
- Exhibitors online registration
- To register by phone with a VISA, Discover, or MasterCard call Conference and Scheduling Services @ 618/536-7751
- Fax completed registration form with credit card payment information to 618/453-5680 or email
Please call 618/536-7751.